[mythtv-users] need advice on the best sound card

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:02:28 EST 2004

I need some quick advice on a new sound card for my remote slave
backend/frontend. I'm looking for something generaly cheap but I want a good
card, with the best compatibility with ALSA and a digital out would be nice,
but optional.

I'm thinking of the following, but feel free to recommend others:
SB 5.1 Live
SB Audigy 1
SB Audigy 2 w/ live drive - compatbility might be an issue, anyone know this
works?
Hercules line of cards, but not sure if they are compatible
Hercules Digifire 7.1 Audio Card
Hercules Muse 5.1 DVD Sound Card

I'm replacing an onboard cmedia chip which gives static when recording and
seems to screw up after about 15 minutes of watching any recording. The
sound becomes garbled, some kind of buffer issue i'm sure, and I hope a new
sound card fixes it as the master mythbackend/frontend works fine with the
same recordings.