[mythtv-users] Occasional vertical pars appearing in picture

Mike Gray mikegray at erols.com
Fri Jan 9 10:39:07 EST 2004

I'm not certain if this is a MythTv issue, per se, but I'll put it out
there anyway.

Every so often, maybe weekly, the picture in recorded shows or when
watching live TV will have a series of vertical bars in the background.
They're like a light reddish or maybe a pink hue.  If I reboot, the
problem seems to go away.  But, the bars are definitely recorded into
shows.  The picture is watchable, but very annoying.

I'm using MythTv 0.12.  Also, my capture card is a Hauppauge PVR-250.
I'm using an IvyTV driver from maybe 2 or 3 months ago.

My first thought was that maybe its heat related.  I have an Antec
Sonata case with 2 120mm fans running and there seems to be excellent
ventilation in there.  I even tried putting one of those little fans
that sits in a PCI slot directly below the card and that doesn't seem to
help.  Also, the box is in my basement, where for the last few days it
has been pretty cold.  I don't have any other typical heat related
symptoms like random system crashes or the like.  When I pop the cover
it doesn't seem unusually warm in there.

I thought maybe the capture card is bad, but it would seem like it
wouldn't be something that pops up every week or two and goes away with
a reboot.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem?  I'm getting pretty
frustrated because it seems like a heat-related symptom where there
doesn't seem to be a heat related problem.

Mike