[mythtv-users] Choice of Linux distro?

K.R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Fri Jan 9 08:42:05 EST 2004

Thomas Rokamp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Next week I'll start setting up an installation of MythTV.
>
> The basic configuration will be this:
>
> Amd Duron 600MHz
> 384mb RAM
> 80gb hd
> Hauppauge PVR-350
>
> What Linux distribution would you suggest for a first time installation?
> I'm planning to use apt-get and install the whole suite.
> Most of my Linux experience comes from RedHat. Will there be any
> difficulties using that?

While out of the box RH doesn't support apt-get, you can install atrpms
following the instructions here:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2 and then you can
use apt-get to install everything. There are also detailed instructions
on getting all this going using RH.

> Next - I plan to change the setup later. I will change the mainboard
> with the VIA Epia M60000. Does nyone know how the 667 MHz VIA CPU
> performs compared to Duron 600?
>
> And would the above setup be able to be used with "live" tv (time-
> shifting)?

should be able to. I am doing it on a much slower computer.