[mythtv-users] Xbox vs PVR350

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Thu Jan 8 17:53:13 EST 2004

Am Do, den 08.01.2004 schrieb Jason Richardson um 17:19:
> the problem with your setup is the bttv card, not the tvout.
> i do have a pvr-350 card now, and will probably not be the first to say
> that linux isnt ready for it yet. after spending well over a week
> settings, i have not yet gotten all the functions to work. it will
> capture video, sometimes, and usually stops before i tell it to. i did
> get the framebuffer to work, sometimes. i never got the hardware decoder
> to work, and when i tried to use it the framebuffer stopped working.

Hmm, works fine here. Admittedly the driver is not as stable as I would
wish. Especially regarding initialization while booting (Test a capture
with dd, if you get firmware errors in the logs, reload the driver or
reboot). I didn't test it very intensively, but the windows drivers
didn't seem too stable to me either, at least not if the machine was
doing something else. If by "not all functions working" you mean missing
radio and vbi support, that's being worked on at the moment.

> at this point i am finding myself seriously considering windows with
> myhttpc or sage.

Hmm, I might be wrong here, but last time I checked, the TV-out
framebuffer of the PVR350 wasn't supported by windows at all. And while
I fancy cool remotes an additional TFT for the menus is a bit overkill
in my opionion :-)

No offence intended, but you should check this, before you try windows.
Last time I heard of it it was a feature "not intended".

> when it was working, the tvout and capture on the 350 was awesome quality
> though, i will definantly recommend the hardware at least.

ACK,

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough