[mythtv-users] Specs

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 12:58:55 EST 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 23:06, Yuri wrote:
> Hmm, could you please explain the difference?
>
> Encoding would be from video to digital (hdd) or the other way
> around?

Both the 250 & 350 do hardware encoding (i.e., converting the input TV
signal to MPEG1/2 so that it takes up less disk space).

Only the 350 does hardware decoding (converting the MPEG1/2 data back to
raw video for viewing on a monitor or TV).

Only the 350 has an integrated TV-out (output of the decoded stream to
TV).  Other solutions require a separate TV-out method (video card with
integrated TV-out, external VGA scan converter, etc).  However, note
that the quality of the picture on the 350's TV-out is reportedly far
better than anything you'll get from any consumer grade video card or
VGA scan converter; I hear it's about on par with standalone A/V
equipment.

Think:

encode::decode as compress::uncompress

-JAC