[mythtv-users] Xbox vs PVR350

Dorian Logan dorian at slug.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 06:07:09 EST 2004

XBox and PVR350 offer different functionality:

XBox (with a modified ROM) can be used to run the MythTV front end - to
view assets from a MythBackend server. There is no current solution for
using an XBox to capture a video source - although there are several
projects currently looking into this.

The PVR350
This card is used to capture, encode and decode to MPEG2

Depending on your needs to record you need to consider both your
playback and recording needs.

An XBox certainly does provide a cost effective frontend client - and
you will be able to update the software unlike some of the appliances
that are coming on the market.

Maybe the DVB devices that use USB maybe interfaced to the XBox in the
future - but then when you consider the cost of an Xbox, the mod chip,
a bigger drive and the DBV Box then the price does start to add up.