[mythtv-users] xbox + xbv framerate solution

Derek Watson magic_cure at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:45:39 EST 2004

Dennis, this may be of interest to you...

I was recently alerted to a post in the gentoox forums that was talking
about framerate problems with mythtv in gentoox
(http://forums.shallax.com/viewtopic.php?t=378&highlight=mythtv). The
problem of course was the use of xbv, but someone there indicated that the
problem is with xv and some nvidia chipsets.

The solution it turns out is to disabled double buffering using xvattr:

xvattr -a XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER -v 0

I've confirmed that this works. While watching tv at a low framerate and
running this in another shell, the framerate instantly comes back to 25fps.
The only problem I can see with this now is that occasional tearing in the
picture is visible.

So the problem is very unlikely to be with xbv as such, but more likely a
quirk with xv and the state that it thinks the encoder is in. Maybe vertical
retrace is taking a long time (or xv thinks it is) so doesn't flip the
buffer as often as it should. I don't know anything about xv, but maybe
someone with experience with it could give us a starting point on addressing
the actual problem?

Anyway, it's certainly a passable solution to the overscan problem. :-D

Derek.