[mythtv-users] Satellite Receiver options

Craig E. Tull cetull at lbl.gov
Wed Jan 7 21:27:05 EST 2004

Disclaimer: I just discovered MythTv (through a co-worker) and am still
a neophyte.

I've got Direct-TV at home and would like to set up a MythTV-based system as
PVR/DVD-player/MPEG-jutebox/DVD-ripper/etc.

I understand my options for tuning are:
1> DST/DVB card
    - I believe that proprietary Directv encryption prohibits this
      option.
2> Satellite receiver w/ serial port (aka. "low-speed data port")
    - My receiver does not have the serial port... Would require a new
      purchase. (CON)
    - Any advice on which receiver to buy?
    - Can MythTV control an external receiver via the serial link?
3> IR-blaster like card for the PC.
    - I can keep my old receiver. (PRO)
    - Might have some IR coupling issues. (CON)
    - Can MythTV control an external receiver via an IR blaster cable?
    - Any advice on which card to buy?

Before I start buying & testing, is there any experience with the
above three options? I expect that I'll try option #3 first to see if
it works, unless I'm told that there are significant advantages to
option #2.

- Craig

  Craig E. Tull, Ph.D.
  National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center
  E.O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
  EMail: cetull at lbl.gov       WWW: http://iago.lbl.gov/
  Phone: (510)486-7253        FAX: (510)486-4004
   eFAX: (509)694-8759     Assist: (510)486-6586