[mythtv-users] Experiences with fresh install on FC1...

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 6 03:11:57 EST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 16:16, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:

> Hi Jarod,
>
> Thanks so much for your guide!

You're welcome. :)

> I just thought I'd funnel some experiences back!

Much appreciated.

> 1) ALSA - Is not an optional step, I found.

In some cases, perhaps. But I'm running one of my systems using OSS
without incident.

> Also if fedora detects your
> sound card, you need to edit modules.conf to remove the sound card
> lines.

It says that in the guide.

> **And then you need to reboot**.

It says that too. Unless you know your way around rmmod and modprobe
pretty well. I can pull it off without a reboot. Just the same, I think
a reorganization of steps in that section is a good idea (done, will be
in next release).

> I first missed the fact that alsa was an optional step. After trying
> (and failing) to get alsa to work, I removed all the alsa rpms. I'm
> pretty sure I got it back to where I started. The sound card worked.
>
> But apparently it is not (any longer?) an optional step. (`apt-cache
> depends libmyth` shows that alsa-lib is a dependency ) So `apt-get
> install mythtv-suite` installs alsa whether you like it or not.

No, libmyth installs alsa-lib whether you like it or not. But that can
be installed without installing the rest of ALSA and you aren't
required to use ALSA.

> It was my experience, that my soundcard that worked fine before this
> step but did not work after, so I had to get alsa working. Because my
> soundcard got detected during fedora installation it was in
> modules.conf, and in use at the time I installed the alsa rpms and
> tried
> to run alsaconf. Edit modules.conf (as in Jarod's guide) and *reboot!*
> to "release" the sound card. Then alsaconf worked for me.

Those steps are now reorganized for better clarity. Thank you for
pointing that one out, I wasn't certain how that all worked with
alsaconf (didn't pay enough attention when reinstalling, I think :).

> Also, when alsa gets installled, a
> "kernel-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.caps.rhfc1.ccrma" package gets installed.

Known problem. Just don't use it.

> I realize I reordered a couple of steps here, but I set up "focus
> follows mouse"  before "mythtvsetup". But if you aren't in North
> America
> where tv_grab_* requires input form the terminal (at least
> tv_grab_(dk|uk|nz|es) do), and then you are required to interact with
> the xterm|console from which you launched  mythfrontend. I'm sure you
> see the focus problem... You can't alt-tab to the thingy. There seems
> be nothing else to do except (ALT-F2 + login + ps -ef | grep tv_grab +
> kill -9 XXX).

I was unaware of any problem there. I had no idea the setup for non-na
varied that much.

> Changing the focus policy or running mythsetup from one of the ALT-F#
> terminals so you can switch back and forth seems to do be a workaround
> though.

I'll see about slipping a note in there somewhere.

Thank you for the feedback!

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...