[mythtv-users] Re: linux distro

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 5 00:59:50 EST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 03:04, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:16:41AM -0800, Darrick Hartman wrote:
>>
>>> Im going to re-install my linux (mythtv) box. I've
>>> always used redhat for
>>> my distro. What does everyone else use? Is RH just
>>> as good, if not better,
>>> than the rest?
>>
>> I use Slackware.  Aside from getting the ivtv stuff
>> functioning properly, I have had no issues.  There
>> seem to be alot more people posting with issues
>> related to red hat/fedora than other distros.  I don't
>> know if that is reason enough to draw a conclusion
>> against using redhat/fedora.
>
> No, it is probably that there are more people running Red Hat
> Linux/Fedora Core than Slackware, so more problems will arise there
> and be reported here ;)

A *BIG* copy that. Very few folks that are new to Linux will attempt
MythTV on a Slackware box. Anyone using Slackware (or something like
Gentoo) is likely fairly experienced with Linux, and thus less likely
to have issues.

> How does Slackware deal with the problem of the ivtv-firmware? IMHO
> the current approach of ATrpms is the best, because you can be legal
> to the license and still have a database aware installation of the
> firmware.

<preach>
There's definitely something to be said for a software database to keep
track of what's installed... This is a big reason most production Linux
systems are RPM-based (and some dpkg-based). A quick database query
tells you what version you have of what installed, versus a system
where everything is installed from tarballs, where its a bit messier to
figure out what all is installed...
</preach>

In other news, I'm rather enjoying my first foray into Gentoo right
now. The only downside is that I'm doing it on an EPIA M1000, which is
dog slow (compared w/the dual Athlon MP 2000 workstation I usually
compile stuff on :). I'm also now running Debian on a slave
backend/frontend combo on my upstairs TV set. Both are *very* different
from Red Hat and from one another...

My servers and production machines are and will remain Red Hat for the
foreseeable future, but I'm rather liking Gentoo (I'm neither wild
about or hateful of Debian yet)... ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...