[mythtv-users] recorded shows

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 19:11:18 EST 2004

>Please show me a govt link that holds your case not some website that is
>3rd party interpretation to serve their interests.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=464
&page=417#417

Although findlaw is not technically a government site, all of the official
US government sites that archive the Supreme Court opinions that I could
find only had the opinions up to 1975. However, this link is not to an
article stating a 3rd party interpretation. It is a link to an archive of
the actual Supreme Court opinion.

Here is a direct quote from the Supreme Court opinion:

(c) The record and the District Court's findings show (1) that there is a
significant likelihood that substantial numbers of copyright holders who
license their works for broadcast on free television would not object to
having their broadcast time-shifted by private viewers (i. e., recorded at a
time when the VTR owner cannot view the broadcast so that it can be watched
at a later time); and (2) that there is no likelihood that time-shifting
would cause nonminimal harm to the potential market for, or the value of,
respondents' copyrighted works. The VTR's are therefore capable of
substantial noninfringing uses. Private, noncommercial time-shifting in the
home satisfies this standard of noninfringing uses both because respondents
have no right to prevent other copyright holders from authorizing such
time-shifting for their programs, and because the District Court's findings
reveal that even the unauthorized home time-shifting of respondents'
programs is legitimate fair use. Pp. 442-456.

In particular, note the last portion of the last sentence. "THE DISTRICT
COURT'S FINDINGS REVEAL THAT EVEN THE UNAUTHORIZED HOME TIME-SHIFTING OF
RESPONDENTS' PROGRAMS IS LEGITIMATE FAIR USE"

Now, that is not a 3rd party interpretation of anything. That is a direct
quote from the Supreme Court decision. Is that good enough?

Shawn Asmussen