[mythtv-users] recorded shows

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 17:02:58 EST 2004

The article you have linked to specifically states that the guidelines
described within "do not have the force of law and have never been tested in
the courts". Those guidelines were created by a committee of educational
organizations and copyright owners, and have no bearing on the law
whatsoever. Also, those guidelines are for situation in which the program
being taped is not for private use, and the intention is to show the tape to
a group of students. Even if that guideline had any legal force, you're
trying to extend it to apply to situations it was never intended for.

Noncommercial home use of video cassette recorders falls under the fair use
doctrine because in the 1984 ruling in the case of Sony v. Universal City
Studios, the Supreme Court ruled so, and they pretty much have the final say
on the interpretation of the law.

Shawn Asmussen