[mythtv-users] minimum CPU requirements for PVR-250

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Jan 3 22:18:06 EST 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 07:21 pm, Andy Skinn wrote:
> I'm looking to build a MythTV box using a PVR-250.  I don't
> have this card yet, but I have an old system that I was
> wanting to use but I don't know if it will have enough
> juice... it's an old Cyrix 233Mhz Ambra computer.  I know
> this is severely underpowered for what most people would
> use, but I was hoping that the hardware encoding on the
> PVR-250 might let me get away with it.  Either that, or
> should I go with the PVR-350 to get the hardware encoding
> and decoding.

With a 250, you need more cpu.  Not for recording, but for
playback.  I'd guess 600+Mhz to playback a pvr250 recording
at a reasonable resolution.  My old P2-450 could only
handle 480x480 and not very well at that.  My new machine
set to 640x480 but with much more cpu reserve gives a
much improved quality.  The 350???  Can't help you there
as I don't have one.

Brian