[mythtv-users] Getting XVMC working and knowing it?

Chris Osgood mythtv at functionalfuture.com
Sat Jan 3 20:16:50 EST 2004

I recently went through all this so maybe I can provide a little info
(hopefully correct info if I'm lucky).

The OSD will be black & white if XvMC is running.  I don't if that is a
true test though.

In my case there is a significant difference in CPU usage when using XvMC.
I get 10-25% CPU usage without XvMC and with XvMC it uses so little CPU
that it doesn't show up in top.

As far as I know XvMC only works with MPEG2 encoded stuff (DVD, hardware
capture card like the PVR250/350, etc).  The normal RTjpeg/MPEG4
recordings will not use XvMC for playback.

You can't currently record to MPEG2 with the software encoder.  That is
something I would like to have also.

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-10.html#ss10.5

--
// Chris