[mythtv-users] SPDIF outputs on an intel8x0 soundcard with MythMusic

Scott Elliott selliott at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 3 18:17:58 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 19:20, Alan J. Pippin wrote:
> I recently read a post on the mythtv list called: [mythtv] SPDIF
> and MythMusic. Somebody mentioned this:
>
> "I managed to get SPDIF out working on my MythTV system with ALSA"
>
> How does one go about doing that? I have my spdif outputs working with
> mplayer by using this option (-ao alsa9:spdif), but mythmusic is
> determined to use the analog outputs. I use the snd-intel8x0 module
> from the alsa-driver-0.9.8 package. I am running on Debian with the
> latest myth packages (0.13) on an HP DEC box. Any help or pointers on
> this would be greatly appreciated.

You have to use /dev/sound/adsp as the output device.  You may have a
problem with 0.9.8, because there were various problems at times with
the snd-intel8x0 & the SPDIF device (such as it disappeared.)  Right
now, I'm fighting it in kernel 2.6.0 with ALSA 1.0.0rc2.  Problems with
audio/video sync in MythTV.  Plays OK for a while, then either speeds up
or slows down.  Recording seems to be better in 2.6, however, so I'm
still fighting with it instead of falling back to 2.4.
--
Scott Elliott <selliott at insight.rr.com>