[mythtv-users] Help getting mythtv to work correctly on EPIA-M, RH-9, PVR-250

Raj Batra raj at kaos.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 3 04:18:08 EST 2004

Hi,

	I am running mythtv .13 on an epia-m 10000 board using the
via binary drivers on the redhat 9 stock kernel and a pvr-250.
I have compiled mythtv with cle266 mpeg decoding and lirc support.

Mythtv does not work reliably. Here are my problems:

1) Often times going from live tv back to the menu results in a solid blue
screen. The only way to get out of this is to restart the mythfrontend.

2) When viewing the EPG screen, the current channel only comes up
occasionally. Often times, I get a loading preview video on a black
screen. Sound still comes through.

I even tried reverting back to myth 0.12 but same problems.

One thing that I was amazed to see is that normally watching tv takes about 30% of the cpu
time - however, flipping to the guide (via the 'm' key) or overlaying the browse information (via the 'i' key)
causes the cpu to hit 90+% - this slows the video down drastically causing at times the audio ring
buffer to overflow and the backend server throws IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()
error.

I thought these nemiah processors could do better than that. Some people in this group are using
software only decoding and I've read that people do divx decompression with these processors - why
then would doing an overlay cause the video to pause and the audio to overflow? Do other people
see similar problems??

	Thanks,

	Raj