[mythtv-users] linux distro

Darrick Hartman ricko73 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 04:16:41 EST 2004

--- DBakker at arrayasolutions.com wrote:
> Im going to re-install my linux (mythtv) box. I've
> always used redhat for
> my distro. What does everyone else use? Is RH just
> as good, if not better,
> than the rest?

I use Slackware.  Aside from getting the ivtv stuff
functioning properly, I have had no issues.  There
seem to be alot more people posting with issues
related to red hat/fedora than other distros.  I don't
know if that is reason enough to draw a conclusion
against using redhat/fedora.

Do you want a pre-packaged system or do you want to
compile the modules?  I'm a big believer in just
maintaining the base OS with packages and compiling
most extra software (MythTV fits in the 'extra'
category).  If you want pre-packaged, go with gentoo,
debian or redhat.  If you don't mind compiling a few
things, installing some additional perl modules and a
little bit of manual editing, go with Slackware which
I've been more than happy with.

If/when Knoppmyth gets updated to 0.13+ I would
recommend that route.  Most everything is automated.
It is just not current (old ivtv drivers that don't
work with the M179 (avermedia).

Darrick