[mythtv-users] extreme newbie questions

Steve Johnson sjohnson29 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 2 13:39:12 EST 2004

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chris Delis <cedelis at uillinois.edu>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] extreme newbie questions
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:37:22 -0600

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 05:07:02PM -0500, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
 > On Thursday 01 January 2004 01:19 pm, Richard Legault wrote:
 > > The PVR bug has bitten me and I am in search of a method.
 > >
 > > I have joined this mailing list in a quest for a "stable" method of
time
 > > shifting television.
 > >
 > > I have a spare box here (2GHz Celeron, 128M RAM) with nearly nothing
else
 > > in it of note.
 > >
 > > I am considering the Hauppauge PVR 350 card. (I think I would like to
 > > record two shows at once, I will consider adding a card. Is it
realistic to
 > > add a card for this purpose?)
 >
 > Why the 350? Probably one of the only reasons to spend the extra jack on
the
 > 350 would be that you don't have enough processor power to decode or you
 > don't want to buy a video card with tv out in which case you'll run X
through
 > the tv out of the 350.

>>Nah.  One fo the only reasons I got the card is because it exhibits
>>correct interlacing to my TV.  So far, I am not aware of any other TVOUT
>>card that does (if so, please share!).  I had plenty of CPU using my
>>nVidia FX5200 for TVOUT, but compared to the 350, I can never go back!

While we're on the subject of the 250/350 differences, could you guys (or
anyone else) explain the pros/cons of using the video out on the 350 as
opposed to one on a video card? I ask because I building a system and I'm
still deciding on both the video card and the tv tuner and have to decide
where to spend the money for the tv output. I bought a 64mb Nvidia MX400
card (without tv output) for $20 and have to decide whether to keep it and
spend the extra $50 on the 350 tuner or buy a better video card with tv
output and get a 250 tuner. I've read some things about the tv output on the
350 isn't 'fully' working yet on Linux/Myth?? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve Johnson