[mythtv-users] Yet another hardware list

Preston Crow pc-mythtv at crowcastle.net
Fri Jan 2 12:53:33 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 23:21, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> (2) I've read some reviews that said the Antec Overture has a stupid internal
> air flow design & only one possible exhaust fan... the reviewer's Athlon XP
> 2600+ ran pretty hot.  Any comments?  Possible other full ATX cases I should
> consider, or additional CPU cooling that will fit in the Overture?

I'm using that case, and I'm a little disappointed with the noise.  I
may be buying some replacement fans from endpcnoise.com.

The case layout is a bit unusual, with the power supply under the
external 3.5" drive bays, meaning the fan is on the left side near the
front.  The internal 3.5" drive bays are in the back left, with the case
fan right behind them, which is a good design except that it puts a
metal wall almost right next to the motherboard, which with my Asus
motherboard is where the CPU is, so I have to be careful not to get a
CPU cooler that extends off the side of the motherboard (it wouldn't
fit).

> (4) I'd really like a slot-loading combo (DVD/CD-RW) drive, but can't seem to
> find any at a reasonable price.  (A DVD+/-RW isn't currently in the budget.
> Also, any suggestions on what CD (combo) drivers are quietest?

You'll want a Silver face on your drive.  The one I found (at
newegg.com) happened to be one recommended here because it is an inch
shorter (which is nice, as a regular CD drive fits pretty tightly in
there with the drive cage behind it).  I can't comment on it, as Fed Ex
hasn't delivered it yet.

newegg.com wrote:
> DVD|SONY 16X DDU1621 Silver %  (Qty=1,Price=32.99)

Now to find an internal 6-in-1 flash card reader with a silver face...
(or maybe I should get some silver paint)

--PC