[mythtv-users] tv out quality not as good as straight through

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 2 05:07:33 EST 2004

I've now setup two Myth systems on the network here, and all looks good. One
thing that I notice is that if I go directly from my DirecTV receiver's
Svideo -> My TV then it looks noticeably sharper then when using MythTV's
livetv even with the encoding is turned up.

These are the cards that I have tried:
ATI Wonder VE Composite In 640x480 MPEG4 6mbps
WinTV 401 dbx Svideo In 640x480 MPEG4 6mbps
WinTV PVR250 Svideo In 640x480 MPEG2 12mbps

While the PVR250 showed a bit better picture, it still can't be compared
with a straight through connection. This leads me to identify my video card
as the culprit. I'm using a new GeForce 4 MX440 SE with Svideo out I believe
running at 1024x768. The card I think uses Nvidia's onboard TV encoder. So,
What are my options at this point if I want a sharper picture?

Does MythTV, X or anything have settings/filters for sharpness?
Would a scan converter produce any better of a picture? If so can someone
recommend any?
I hear the PVR 350 is a great card, anyone compare the tv out quality on
that compared to a straight through connection?

Also if someone can quickly explain how to add/change fonts for X/mythtv
that would be greatly appreciated, i just emerged my gentoo system and
mythtv only shows like two terrible fonts.