[mythtv-users] Myth, WinXX Playback & 20 questions

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Thu Jan 1 18:31:52 EST 2004

> Well,
>
> I'm getting further. Have you seen the 'mplayer plugin' for Mozilla?
> (Linux only - it works!)
>
> caviats:
> 	no control over fast-forward, pause etc, maybe KI just don't
> 	know the keys I can press.  No ability to resize the screen,
> 	and part of it is chopped off. :-(
>
> All I had to do was make apache send it out with the correct mime type
> and filename extension and click on it.

No, I haven't tried it.

> I wish it would play the stream as it comes down and I wish it would
> work from Windows. It wants to down load the entire 6 gig file then
> play it :-<

Once I have finished my new directshow filter you will be able to stream the
nuv files directly from mythbackend.

It works best with files that has finished recording.
This is due to various problems with the mediaplayers I have been testing.
For example, mplayer2 (wmp v6.4) always reads the file length when it opens
the file (or url in this case) and then sets the seeking bar to that value,
for livetv this is usualy zero or just a few seconds and when playback
reaches the end of the seekbar, the seekbar will drawn too far to the right
and hits the edge of the window.
This makes it imposibel to seek past the initial length of the seekbar.

The strange thing is that the current position and length in the status bar
is updated properly even tho the seekbar isn't, so it must be a bug in
mplayer2

> MPLAYER though which everything is based off of sucks rightnow because
> of the audio problems. I think maybe it's because ffplay is just a
> hokey test app.
>
> >> I did a smal hack to mythweb to add a play link. I used it
> to test the new
>    network source filter, it worked realy well, except that
> zoomplayer that I
>    use most of the time to play files can't handle url's and
> neighter coud
>    mediaplayer classic, so I'm stuck with mplayer2
>
> Can you send me what you did on mythweb, I'd like to play with it some
> more. All I need is a sample of what the HTML needs to look like to
> make win-media-old play a file so I launch the right app (I have
> several stupid things that think they own MPEG files... grrr)

I have attached the patch I did, it's just a quick hack so you will have to
modify it to make it work.
The patch uses myth: url's (same as used internaly in mythtv) to play the
file since that what my new filter uses.
Apply the patch under the themes/Default directory in mythweb.

> > Renaming: YYMMDD....YYMMDD.....nuv -> HumanName.nuv makes your
> > package not work.
>
> >> Not sure why you woud need somthing like that.
>
> Reason #1
>
> Mythweb can't play video right now on a PC - SO I thought - maybe I'd
> make a static shortcut to the video directory on my server.  Human
> names (really a bunch of sym-links to the NUV files elsewhere) then my
> wife for example could sort by name and find "Judge Judy" instead of
> some cryptic number sequence.
>
> >> The best solution woud be if it worked without renaming the files.
>
> Reason #2
>
> Yea but - what about -off-network- ie: Copy some video to your laptop
> so you can watch it on a train/plane trip...
>
> It would be nice if the NUV files held as a backup - the show
> information much like the ID3 tags on MP3 files do. Hence, they could
> survive being renamed and database deletion - or the most horrid thing
> of all time a vaction that includes visiting your in-laws.
>
> BTW - I'm not going to be around till monday - (vacation, try to ski -
> bah ha ha ha and not mess my back up again).

Didn't think about that.
If you are going to copy the nuv files around, then it might be usefull.
I've never had any need for something like that, but I gues it's not
imposibel, it woud be just a matter of extending the nuv file format a bit.
The question is if a patch like that woud be accepted, I think probably not.