[mythtv-users] Plasma TV's

Ed Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Thu Jan 1 16:33:19 EST 2004

Preston Crow wrote:

>>Has anyone attempted to drive a Plasma TV with linux/mythtv yet? We have
>>just purchased a 42" Plasma Screen that will do 853H x 480V resolution.
>>

>Why spend all that money on a non-HDTV plasma TV?  It may be 16:9, but
>with only 480V, you're still talking about NTSC resolutions.

Crikey, make the guy feel bad!

Actually, of the demos I have seen, the non HD screens actually look a
little better for non HD tv.  I guess if you get an HD screen then you
are a little more futureproofed, but I haven't yet seen a 42" screen
with HD that has square pixels, ie 13xx ish by 768.

Anyway, to answer your question, try using something like videogen to
generate a modeline for your screen. Note that unless you have some
funky graphics card you will need that width to be divisible by 8.
Whack the modeline in /etc/X11/XF86Config or whatever your distro uses
and off you go