[mythtv-users] Some problems with myth/ivtv - workarounds?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sun Feb 29 07:14:43 EST 2004

HI!

My Myth box is now running for 1 week and I am already totally addicted
to it. ;-)

Many thanks to Isaac and the other developers and to Jarod and Axel.

Apart from some minor glitches, I had several serious problems, that may
  all be related to ivtv, but still maybe some of you "senior myth
users" have a workaround.

I have an ASUS P4PE-X/SE, Intel 845P chipset, Celeron 2.6, PVR-250,
PVR-230, GeForce FX 5200. I do NOT use the 350's TV-out at the moment.

Software is Fecora Core 1, Myth 0.14, ivtv 0.1.9, set up with Jarod's guide.

Problems:

1. no capture data from card (several times)
Sometimes it happens (for Live TV or a recording) that the capture card
does not send data or stops sending. mythbackend waits for 15 seconds
and then gives up. Sometimes, I have to reload ivtv or reboot, sometimes
mplayer immediately after this shows data from /dev/video1 and then at
the next try, Myth works, too (self-repairing?).
I am certain, this is an ivtv problem.

2. Recording without audio (one time)
I had one recording with no audio. I do not know why. I don't know, if
this is an ivtv issue.

3. Recording too short (one time)
When we watched some earlier recordings while another show was being
recorded, that recording ended too earlier without an error or warning
(at least I have seen none). Isaac said, this is an ivtv issue, but I
have just read a similar thread at the ivtv mailing list and I
understand, that they do not think it's an ivtv issue.

Please remember, most of the time it works OK. And also, that I do NOT
use the TV-out of the 350 at the moment.

So, please, any comments are appreciated (users with the same problem)
and any workarounds are very much appreciated.

If you are certain, this is an ivtv problem, then I will be happy to
talk to those developers in their mailing list.

Thanks!

Thomas