[mythtv-users] Can I run mythtv without KDE or any desktop

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Feb 28 07:43:37 EST 2004

Donald McLennan wrote:

> Hi,
> Can I run mythtv without the overhead of a windowing desktop?  I can't
> see any reason why I need the Fedora graphical boot and KDE running
> just so I can run mythtv.

Well the Fedora graphical boot looks a lot nicer on a TV than normal
text booting does.  But that doesn't have anything to do with KDE.

You can use gdmsetup to allow mythtv to automagicly login  and use an
xsession file to control what gets started up.  You do want some sort of
window manager, personally I use "ratpoison" it's tiny.

>  How is the best way to boot without KDE (or other desktop) and still
> have the required xserver running.  I'm running Redhat Fedora.

I'm attaching my startmythtv script that gets called from mythtvs
xsession file.