[mythtv-users] Reducing system resources (cpu, memory)

Donald McLennan dmclennan at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 28 07:06:37 EST 2004

Andrew,

I have a STB Velocity 4400, 16MB card with TV Out.  For those that have commented, I'm running a PIII 450MHz computer with 320MB RAM, PVR-250.  I did a minimal Fedora install, but still ended up with several of the linux services running.   Everyone is right - KDE spawns lots of processes and uses lots of memory.  I'm thinking about a lighter desktop or just booting to linux with X.  The "slowness" that I referred to earlier may be KDE and X.  I'll keep the group posted on what I find.

What I've noticed is that mythbackend recording takes very little CPU.  Watching live TV or while recording takes 65-70%.  Memory is maxed at 320 MB.

I'm beginning to feel that this is acceptable performance -not fast, but better than our old VCR.  I'm almost considering moving this into our TV room.

MythTv is really good.  Thanks for all your help,
Don

Andrew Dodd <atd7 at cornell.edu> wrote:
Quoting Donald McLennan :

> Hi,
> I have MythTV running on a 450Mhz computer with
> PVR-250. Like other users with similar low end
> configuration, Mythtv works, but is slow.
>
> Are there any suggestions on minimizing the cpu and
> memory requirements by disabling various linux
> services to get any better performance? What are the
> minimal linux services that need to be running?
>
> Are there any key MythTV settings like picture size,
> resolution, etc., that would improve performance?
>
> Would a PVR-350 card make any difference?
>
> Or, as others have commented, do I need a faster cpu?
What video card do you have?

I used to have no trouble with DVD playback on a K6-2/500 (I have since
upgraded...) - Linux MPEG decoders have come a long way since then, and so have
video cards. If you upgrade your video card (A GF4 MX440, for example), you
should be able to get smooth playback with 720x480 MPEG.