[mythtv-users] Querrying Recording Status

Jeff jeff at intersystems.com
Fri Feb 27 14:04:19 EST 2004

At 01:03 PM 2/27/2004 -0500, Lance Tost wrote:

> > I have found that Myth/IVTV benefit from a frequent reboot.  Otherwise,
> > weird things begin to happen.  This is more of an ivtv problem but it
> > seems clear that a nightly reboot scheduled via cron would help.  So,
> > the question is.. how can I query Myth to see if it is currently
> > recording something?  I know MythWeb does it so it is possible.
> > Finally, does it return an exit code that I can act on in a shell script
> > or maybe I can just look for a string, such that if it is not recording
> > then reboot but if it is, don't.

MythWeb simply contacts the backend on its TCP port and sends it the
status request code. The backend writes back about what's going on.

You can do exactly the same thing from a perl script. Not only can you
decide whether the backend is recording, you can decide if you have enough
time before the next recording to reboot.