[mythtv-users] new user Knoppmyth installation problem

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 12:58:08 EST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 12:22, Jeff wrote:
> One problem I had was I burned the disk at 8x and it wasn't until
> I burned another one at 1x would it boot. It probably doesn't have to
> be 1x but these were different machines (burning and booting) and I
> suspect the booting drive is not as speedy as the writing one. The cd
> burning software should let you set this.

An ISO9660 data disc is an ISO9660 data disc.  It doesn't matter how
fast your drive is, it should be able to read it.  The drive could be
0.5X and it should still work.  The only thing that would be affected
is how fast it can get data from the drive, which will affect boot
times (if you're booting from CD) or game play (for games that access
the CD), or any other application that depends on a certain sustained
throughput rate (multimedia playback from a CD source, for example).
If you had a problem with a disc burned at 8x, it's likely the problem
was in the burning process.  Did you verify the 8x-burned disc against
the source image?  Usually the problem is either your CD-writer not
being able to sustain an 8x write speed without errors/buffer
underruns, or it could be the quality of your blank CD media (some
cheap-o CD-Rs don't take well to being burned at higher speeds).

Anyway, you've got a working (bootable) disc now, so I guess there's no
point in further discussion.  Just wanted to clear up a misconception.

-JAC