[mythtv-users] TV-Out Problem with GeForce4 MX440 (Apollo Bloody Monster)

Scott Pouliot spouliot at scpsoftware.net
Thu Feb 26 12:23:54 EST 2004

I finally got my TV-Out working last night with this card, but I'm having a
few issues and was wondering if anyone had some ideas.  At the bottom of
this message is a copy of my XF86Config File.  I've tried using every driver
from nVidia from 4363 all the way to 5336.  5336 seems to work as I finally
get a picture on the screen of my TV Set (RCA 36" Home Theatre Premiere).
The problem I am having though is it seems the image on the TV is not
centered properly.  I've tried every resolution from 640x480 all the way to
1280X1024 and the TV image never changes.  It seems that the text displaying
on the TV is nearly unreadable in any resolution other than 800X600, but
it's not even close to being centered on the screen.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to the X config file, so someone may see
some HUGE mistakes in here....which is what I'm hoping for.  I stole parts
of configs from people on the nvnews.net forums and that helped me get TV
Out actually displaying an image....now I need to tweak it a bit, but I'm
not quite sure what to change here.  Any help or links would be GREATLY
appreciated.  I've spent the better part of 3 nights surfing and
re-configing.  Now that I have a picture.....I don't know what to tweak next
;-)

Now that I've pasted my config...does this line have any relevance to my
problem?
 Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"

I just caught the LeftOf.....I recognized that as an option of the
TwinViewOrientation Option within the nVidia driver....

Scott

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier     "Multihead layout"
 Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
 Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
 InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
 Option     "Xinerama" "on"
 Option     "Clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
 RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
 FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
 Load  "dbe"
 Load  "extmod"
 Load  "fbdevhw"
 #Load  "glx"
 Load  "record"
 Load  "freetype"
 Load  "type1"
 Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds"  "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
 Identifier  "Keyboard0"
 Driver      "keyboard"
 Option     "XkbRules" "xfree86"
 Option     "XkbModel" "pc105"
 Option     "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier  "Mouse0"
 Driver      "mouse"
 Option     "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
 Identifier  "DevInputMice"
 Driver      "mouse"
 Option     "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier   "Monitor0"
 VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName    " emachines"
 DisplaySize  320 240
 HorizSync    30.0 - 72.0
 VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
 Option     "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier   "Monitor1"
 VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName    "Monitor 800x600"
 HorizSync    31.5 - 35.1
 VertRefresh  50.0 - 61.0
 Option     "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Videocard0"
 Driver      "nvidia"
 VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
 BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
 Option     "TwinView" "true"
 Option     "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-60"
 Option     "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60-90"
 Option     "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480; 1280x1024,
1024x768, 800x600, 640x480"
 Option     "TVStanderd" "NTSC-M"
 Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"
 Option     "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
 Option     "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
 Option     "TVOverScan" "0.4"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Videocard1"
 Driver      "nv"
 VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
 BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
 BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"