[mythtv-users] Idea: DVI to DVI and then VGA

Per Åge Sørvik peraage at leneogperaage.com
Thu Feb 26 06:52:56 EST 2004

Franco wrote:

>So, I have to run a few meters of cable from the mythtv box
>to my DLP projector, which has only VGA input.
>
>What about if I buy a GF4 card with DVI out, run a DVI cable
>to the projector, and then use a DVI/VGA converter (adapter?)
>to connect it? Shouldn't it reduce the degrading of the image
>caused by the cable lenght?

You're still going to run all analog. DVI kables can transport both
analog and digital signals. The converters are only physical connectors,
not DVI-D to VGA or something. Best quality would be D-SUB->5 BNC, run 5
coax cables and then BNC->D-SUB again. But for 5 meters, just by a
decent VGA cable.

Anyway, this discussion is better suited for places like avsforum.com,
not on the mythtv list.

--

peraage