[mythtv-users] MythTV + Wireless Frontend

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Tue Feb 24 18:15:34 EST 2004

> Has anyone done any testing of MythTV and wireless access?  My bedroom does
> not have ethernet, and I would like to put a frontend on the TV in there,
> and was wondering if anyone has played with any wireless stuff.  I already
> have a Wireless device for my PDA so adding a PC would be no big deal.

I think several people here use it.  Your success will depend greatly on the
wireless speed (11mbps .11b or 54mbps .11a/.11g), your encoded bitrates, and
how much other traffic is using the wireless connection.  I doubt you will
have much problem at all with .11a/.11g, but you will probably not be able
to do much above 2000-2500kbps with .11b.  A good rule of thumb is that you
can get about half the advertised bitrate out of a wireless connection, plus
you want to leave some room for extra traffic and collisions.

--
"Do not let perfect get in the way of better."
        -- Manoj Srivastava