[mythtv-users] Sync'd MythMusic

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 15:46:16 EST 2004

> > There will always be small amounts of clock drift however.
>
> But if you were to use something like ntp to keep the clocks
> sync'd it should be pretty minimal.  I know that my machines
> stay within .00005 seconds (guestimate based on the last
> manual ntpdate call) or so with my ntp server.

Does the following make sense?

The stream needs to be buffered in case of network delays and gets buffered
again in the sound card.  This is the first opportunity for skew among
stations.

OK, every station can have exactly the same buffer setup.  But samples are
spit out according to internal clocks.  Therefore, an individual station
will usually, eventually, drift in time relative to the server and relative
to other stations.

How do streaming applications handle this?  Do they just have big enough
buffers to cover for several hours of a slight mismatch (then pause or skip
ahead if it ever fills or empties)?