[mythtv-users] Shopping for hardware.

Franco net.surfer at tiscalinet.it
Tue Feb 24 08:15:58 EST 2004

> Also is anybody handicapped by only having only one PCI slot? I think
> I'd want a wireless ethernet too at least and maybe even a SCSI card.

Are you using a micro-ATX mainboard?
I've already arisen this issue; I've also found out these:

	 ASUS A7S266-VM, SiS 740 graphics
	 ASUS A7S-VM, SiS 730S graphics
	 INTEL D845GVAD2, 845GV graphics

they all have 4 PCI slots instead of just 3.
Graphics is on-board; the first one is known to NOT be supported
on Linux; as to the other two, nobody here expressed an
opinion on which is best, so I just don't know :-)

However, I've already experimented with a slow box having the 845GL,
and I'm very happy with it, so I bet that the D845GVAD2
can only do better, as I checked carefully the specifications
and everything is better/faster than the board I am using for
experimenting. Also, note that the Intel 845 is an AGP chipset,
and shares the memory with the CPU.

Franco