[mythtv-users] Playing slightly jerky every now and then

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Mon Feb 23 21:53:04 EST 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 02:25 pm, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> HI!
>
> When watching TV or a recording, I get a little bit of jerkyness every
> now and then. Sometimes it's running perfect for a long time and
> sometimes it's a little bit stuttering in scenes with motion, so it's
> not always. Don't get me wrong, it's still watchable and the GF does not
> even see it, but I find it a bit annoying.
>
> I have already tried Jitter Reduction in the settings and played with
> different bitrates. At the moment I am capturing:
> MPEG2, 720x568, 7000/8000 KBit, 50 Hz.
>
> The TV-Out of the NVidia is also running at 50 Hz.
>
> Hardware:
> - PVR-250
> - PVR-350 (not using TV-Out)
> - NVidia GeForce FX 5200 with TV-Out running at 800x600
> - Celeron 2.6 GHz
> - 512 MB RAM
> - Fedora Core 1
>
> While playing, the CPU is at 25% usage. Capturing is 1%.
>
> I have my MythTV setup with Jarod's guide. I am not using the latest
> NVidia driver and not the latest PVR firmware.
>
> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Thomas

I've been getting the same thing.  0.14 built from source,
MPEG4 capture, 4400 bitrate, AMD2500+ cpu,
about 10% capture, 4% playback, and it jumps.  I set
the video to the reference timebase, and it just makes
everyone sound funny now once in a while, but at least it
doesn't freeze up now.  Seems like this has been getting worse
and worse.  I started at 0.10, which was absolutely flawless
on this hardware, and it's been steadily getting more jerky with
each release.  I don't think my hardware is to blame, as nothing
has changed since the 0.10 install, just the mythtv builds.

YMMV,
Mark