[mythtv-users] video but no audio from recorded shows

tech at gnuconsulting.com tech at gnuconsulting.com
Mon Feb 23 14:50:31 EST 2004

I have jiggered it so that my machine doesn't lock up while recording
shows anymore (retrograding the kernel to 2.4.24 seems to have done the
trick, as that changes the drivers for video, audio, bttv, and the
kernel all at once).  Now, the problem is that when 'watching' live tv
(that's a joke, as it's unusable on my machine), I get both audio and
video.  And, when a scheduled recording goes off, I can hear the audio
through my speakers (which is annoying, but not life threatening).  But,
when I go to watch a recorded show, I get nothing but silence.  I wanted
to test the file with mplayer to see if it was a myth playback thing vs.
a myth recording thing but mlpayer doesn't recognize the file at all.
Neither does xine, for that matter.  I tried transcoding the file to mp4
(I assume that's what the RTjpeg/MPEG4 selection in the transcoder's
config was saying) by hitting X while watching (and the little 'transcoding
queued' popped up, and I saw the transcoding binary in top), but after
it finished the only file in my mythvids directory was the .nuv, still
unrecognized by mplayer.

How should I proceed?

Setup:
front and backend on same machine