[mythtv-users] Re: Upgrading from RH9 to FC1 via ATrpms for Myth

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 23 13:45:45 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:52:34AM -0800, Vince Busam wrote:
> I have my system running Myth on RedHat 9 using Jarod Wilson's instructions.
> I'm planning to upgrade to Fedora Core 1 to get the M179 and low latency
> patches.
>
> Can I just install FC1 on top of my current system starting with the
> atrpms-kickstart instructions in section 6 of Jarod's excellent guide?

In principle yes, there will be some problems for perl and sendmail
IIRC, but it is doable. I suggest an apt-get upgrade first and then
the apt-get dist-upgrade. In fact most of my FC1 systems haven been
smoothly upgraded from RH9 that way.

Or you can use the FC1 CDs and upgrade the system, and then use the
atrpms-package-config package (or simply edit the sources.list). The
FC1 upgrade is taking care of some special issues like the
perl/sendmail stuff.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de