Optical SPDIF output on nforce2 by default (was Re: [mythtv-users] More audio issues)

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Sun Feb 22 15:38:06 EST 2004

Chris Tracy wrote:

>Now, in my case, that means I add the following line to /etc/modules.conf:
>
>options snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=2 adsp_map=2

This is fanatastic information, I've pulling my hair out all weekend
trying to get SPDIF output from normal TV!

My playback entry is 3 and I have hardware mixing through my Audigy 2 so
I set my options up appropriately.

Unfortunately I now get a blank screen when watching TV and this error
printed lots of times in the terminal where I started the front end:

2004-02-22 20:26:41 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
Error opening audio device (/dev/dsp):
/dev/dsp: No such device
... repeat ...
player: Can't open audio device: /dev/dsp

Did you get this error when you were figuring things out?

I can get TV with sound through SPDIF no problem by using mplayer like this:
cat /dev/video0 | mplayer -ao alsa9 -vo xv
although I guess that's not going through OSS is it?  Doing this:
cat /dev/video0 | mplayer -ao oss vo xv
gives the same /dev/dsp not found.

but /dev/dsp does exist:
crw-------    1 ed       root      14,   3 Sep 15 14:40 /dev/dsp

so I guess there's something wrong with that dsp_map=3 and adsp_map=3 I
am using.

Have you got any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks,
J.