[mythtv-users] mythvideo improvement / feature request

Xavier Hervy maxpower44 at tiscali.fr
Sun Feb 22 15:01:05 EST 2004

Joachim Gehweiler wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> why is the type for the 'plot' column in the 'videometadata' table set
> to 'varchar(255)'?
>
> My plot descriptions are MUCH longer and therefore don't fit. I think
> type 'text' would be a better choice.
>
> [ The only disadvantage of the 'text' type I can think of, is that MySQL
> can't create an index for this column type. If this was the reason why
> 'varchar(255)' was chosen, I would suggest to change it to 'text' and
> maybe add an additional keywords column for searching. ]

In my patch (search for country genre category) I change the type of
plot field from varchar(255) to text. because plot in french are more
longer than english plot.

the plot colomn is not indexed.

> If you agree to change the type to column, I'd also like to post this
> feature request:
>
> Please show the mythvideo plot descriptions in a textarea with
> scrollbars instead of cutting the rest off.

Same Idea but I don't how to scroll the plot, up/down arrows are already
use to change the parental level.

> I just noticed that mythvideo seems to use iso-8859-1 whereas mythtv
> makes use of unicode -- at least german characters äöüß get not
> translated into unicode when the video manager automatically extracts
> the title from the filename. As a result, mythweb only displays a
> questionmark for all these characters.

I don't have any trouble with filename (éà...). but my script which grab
movie information return bad characters in mythvideo but work pretty
well when i execute in a xterm or a console. I don't know how to resolve
that or if this trouble appear only in my system.

> Best,
>     Joachim

Xavier Hervy