[mythtv-users] Hard drive recommendation

Blues Guy bluesguy at stny.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 12:26:25 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2004, at 05:38, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
>
>> I just ordered a Western Digital Caviar 250 Gigs hard drive. Model
>> number is WD2500JB. Got it from Dell through a bargain posted to
>> xpbargains.com.
>>
>> Since it is back ordered I still have a chance to cancel the order. So,
>> does anyone have one of these beasts? Care to share your experience with
>> it?
>

> That's the same drive I've got in my primary Myth box. Not the
> quietest drive around, but also not the loudest. I have no complaints
> about it.

I bought the WD2000JB at Sam's Club before Christmas for $150.  It was a
bargain I couldn't turn down at the time and even though it's rated at
35db (vs. ~25db for the Seagate and Maxtor's) it's still pretty quiet.
The fan's (Power supply and CPU) in my Pundit drown it out.  The 7200
RPM is nice, but since I switched to JFS on my video partition, the
filesystem performance is so good I could probably ditch it and go to a
5400 to run a little cooler.

>> There are a few things in the world I hate more than a hard disk crash
>> or a poor quality hard disk :-)
>

> Western Digital is generally top-notch, in my experience.

I agree.  I've used WD's since the late 80's and they've consistently
been highly reliable.  I've only ever had 2 fail, and those were from a
batch a 1GB drives that I suspected were faulty.  WD replaced them under
warranty and I've never had any problems with WD since.