[mythtv-users] ATI All-in-Wonder

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Feb 21 02:38:23 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 18:41, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> If you care to see my response:

I do. =)

> >You asked if an AIW would work, even after seeing a very specific statement on
> >the MythTV site saying they don't. Yes, you found reports about TV Wonder
> >cards working, but they're irrelevant when you're talking about an AIW. This
> >question has been asked on the list over and over again, and the answer is
> >always no, an AIW won't work. I even recall seeing technical details on why
> >that is the case, both on the list and on the web.
> >

> I didn't find any technical details on the web, nor did I find anything
> about the original AIW not working.  I saw information on later cards
> not working.  I had just held on to the fleeting hope that it wasn't
> mentioned because almost noone really thought to try it.  I appologize
> for having the audacity to ask a specific question when I hadn't found
> any specific answer.

I found general stuff with a google just now, which refers to the
chipset used, rather than the specific card, and explains the problem as
being that the bt82x chipset can only output packed format YUV, while
MythTV requires planar YUV. I also recall sending that very same
information to the list myself several months ago... (Granted, I don't
know what the exact chip is on your card, but you could probably find it
yourself and use that info to aid in your quest for info).

> >The "You're a schmuck" treatment, as you call it, stems from a lack of
> >patience on the part of people fed up over rehashing the same repeated
> >questions that have already been answered.
> >
> Again, I didn't find any posts in the archive that had to do with the
> original AIW, just newer cards.  I admit, I stopped searching after
> digging through several months of the archives, so I could have just
> missed it.  This is a pretty meaty list after all.

True, its meaty. I don't suggest relying solely on the list either
though. Google is your friend (tm). However, I did find postings in the
MythTV archive from March of 2003 stating that a very old AIWs wouldn't
work (AIW Mach64 and Rage 128 referenced specifically), more in April of
2003, as well as a posting by mdz from October of 2002 explaining the
problem. Most of those were turned up with a "mythtv all in wonder"
google.

> >Nobody is here to hold your hand,
> >nobody has to be polite, nobody is required to answer your beckon call, but
> >generally, everyone is very cordial and helpful. However, when you ask the
> >list something that has already been beaten like a dead horse, don't expect
> >warm fuzzies. At least you got an answer, and from several people to boot.
> >

> At no point have I asked anyone to hold my hand.

You sounded quite upset that people didn't give you cheerful responses.
I read every one of them, and didn't find any of them particularly rude
at all. True, not warm and cuddly, but nothing offensive (unless I
missed something). I thought everyone quite plainly stated that an AIW
won't work.

> I've suffered through
> Gentoo installs in silence

Heh, those are fun! Still playing with Gentoo -- its now my second
favorite distro.

> I've re-installed Fedora Core, and
> troubleshot my own problems.

I'm happy to hear that.

> I simply wanted a quick "Yes", "No", or
> "Sorry, doesn't work".  I wasn't expecting to become a whipping boy for
> asking a simple question that I couldn't find a specific answer to.

I didn't see whipping, but then I wasn't the one who posted the
question. I thought you got mostly better than quick answers, because
some had actual explanations attached.

> >This is highly recommended reading:
> >http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >
> Read it already.

I love that page.

> Again, I freely admit I read the blanket statement that "No AIW cards
> work", but I figured if the newer cards had been discussed so much, it
> wouldn't hurt to ask if the community knew whether this one worked. I
> wasn't asking how to _make_ it work; I'd deal with that myself as much
> as possible.

I'm guessing the older cards were discussed long ago, which is why you
didn't find anything about them with a search of only several months
back. Older cards were most likely discussed when they weren't so old
(such as the Oct 2002 post I found).

> Regardless of the tone of the responses I recieved, I thank those of you
> who responded (at least for the response to the question, not the
> back-hand that came with it).

I didn't back-hand until you complained. ;-)

We all need a back-hand sometimes though. I've received a few here in my
day as well.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...