[mythtv-users] DRD420RE serial change channel problem

Joe Banafato joe at banafato.com
Fri Feb 20 19:04:21 EST 2004

What's up everyone... I've been off the list for a while because myth
has been working so well that I haven't had any questions.  But I just
moved and got directv, so I've got some new troubles.  My receiver is a
DRD420RE.  I made the cable per the specs on the various sites.  I've
downloaded about 5 different versions of RCA.pl, sony.pl, and even a
small C program that I found in the list archives.  I've tried making
and remaking the cable, but I still can't seem to get the damn thing to
change channels.  Here's some output:

loki root # ./rca2.pl 0299
0299 SEND: 0xFA [?] 0x46 [F] 0x1 [] 0x2B [+]
   RECV: 0xFB[PROMPT] 0xFB[PROMPT]

loki root # ./rca2.pl 299
299 SEND: 0xFA [?] 0x46 [F] 0x1 [] 0x2B [+]
   RECV: 0xFF(255) 0xFB[PROMPT] Error (0x00)

loki root # ./rca2.pl 0299
0299 SEND: 0xFA [?] 0xA6 [?] 0x1 [] 0x2B [+] 0xFF [?] 0xFF [?]
   RECV: 0xFB[PROMPT] 0xFB[PROMPT]

I always get some combination of the above, regardless of channel.  In
one of these examples I modified RCA.pl to send A6 instead of 46 based
on one of my list reading sprees.  Point  is, I've tried everything I
can think of, including swapping the TX and RX on the cable.  Sony.pl
doesn't seem to work at all.  The cable is so short from soldering and
re-soldering now that it's time to go get some new supplies, but before
I break the bank on 20 new  cables I figured I'd check in and see if
anyone has any advice.

Also, can anyone recommend a place in the NYC metro area to get cables,
adapters, etc?  My radioshack doesn't do much besides cell phones these
days.  Couldn't even get the handset cord there.

Thanks a lot...

-Joe