[mythtv-users] HDTV playback & GF4

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 20 12:55:30 EST 2004

Quoting Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org>:

> Kent Williams wrote:
> > Before it was 0.14, trying now with CVS.
> > Current video card is 'nVidia Corporation NV10 [GeForce 256 SDR]'
>
> If you do 'xdpyinfo | grep XVideo' does it print anything?  Does
> 'xvinfo' list any useable screens?
>
> > When I add -mpentium4 to libavcodec.pro (there doesn't seem to be a
> > settings.pro in that directory), I get:
> > [compiler error]
>
> Yeah, sorry, sleepy this morning.  It is libavcodec.pro, and the
> directive to add is '-march=pentium4'
Note that this will only work on more recent versions of GCC.  (Not a valid flag
on 2.9x versions, not sure if it appeared in 3.0 or later in the 3.x series.)

The difference between -march=i686 with gcc 2.96 (RH 7.3, what my laptop ran
until Tuesday) and -march=pentium4 with gcc 3.3.2 (Gentoo, the laptop's new
distro) is insane...  xine can come "close" to decoding 1080i with a GF4MX and
XvMC with only a 1.7 GHz P4-M - Dropped frames are not very common.  Previously
it was horrible.