[mythtv-users] HDTV and the VIA EPIA

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 20 02:59:49 EST 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 13:24, Vincent K. Britton wrote:

> Has anyone here tried to decode HDTV content on a VIA EPIA?

If they have, they're insane.

> I am looking to get several VIA EPIA’s to act as front end boxes.  I
> have 1 HD Television now and wanted to know if the 1 GHz CPU on the
> VIA EPIA could decode HD Content.

Not even close. While Cecil pointed you to a link stating at least
2.0GHz for a system without an nVidia card (and their proprietary
drivers), that's not taking the overhead of everything MythTV does into
account. The recommendation for Myth in HD is a 3.0GHz HT P4.

> It has a MPEG2 Decoder built on to it.  Forgive my ignorance but what
> is HD content recorded in (mpeg4 I think)

mpeg2.

> and would this decoder help at all?

I don't think it is designed to handle something as high in resolution
as HDTV, but I suppose I could be wrong. Perhaps I'll actually eat my
words and go insane (I have an EPIA M10000 HushPC)...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/