[mythtv-users] Recordedmarkup corrupt - consequences ?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 19 22:26:11 EST 2004

Quoting cmisip <cmisip at insightbb.com>:

> My mythtv has been misbehaving lately.  It has been missing scheduled
> recordings, mythfrontend sometimes cannot connect, and the error message
> shows "Readstringlist timeout".  I tried to backup the database and it
> complained about "errno 145" with recordedmarkup.  I did a "repair table
> recordedmarkup" in mysql.
>
> What are the consequences of this? What does recorded markup do?
It is used for the following, among other things:
Automatic commercial detection/flagging (Positions of blank frames, scene
changes, and calculated commercial cuts are stored in recordedmarkup)
Seeking in MPEG-2 (and probably other video types) - The position of the
beginning of each GOP is stored in recordedmarkup.

Clearing out recordedmarkup and running mythcommflag will redo everything but
the GOP markup.  Unfortunately despite what I was once told when I asked a
similar question, mythcommflag does NOT refill the GOP information if it has
been deleted (at least not on my machine).  I don't know of a way to do this
currently.  (Please let me know if there is a way to do this, as I'd love to
strip commercials with avidemux and then redo the markup for the resulting
edited file.)

> I notice that since the upgrade to myth .14, I notice hard drive
> activity when there are no current recordings.  Is myth trying to
> rebuild something or convert something? I have not configured it to
> transcode.
>
> If so, what is a safe way to shutdown myth?
If you have automatic commercial detection enabled, the commercial detection is
run after a recording ends.  The routine is set up to sleep a certain amount
after each frame, so not only will any CPU usage show as being nice, it will not
be 100% either.  (Any particular reason not to run it at 100% and nice 20
instead?)  It's about 10-20% CPU constant usage on my 1.1 GHz Athlon tbird, and
usually that happens for 1.5 hours for every hour of recording.