[mythtv-users] A list of newbie questions - any input is appreciated

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:31:21 EST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Steve Dorsey wrote:

> - Is a P4 1.8GHz going to be fast enough to do everything with two or
> three PVR-350s simultaneously capturing and viewing video? (I'd like to
> hook up 3 cards in a perfect world so that I can have an extra input
> for external devices i.e. video cameras or video from my G4.

1.8 GHz should be more than enough if all of your TV cards have hardware
encoders.  1.8 GHz is probably fast enough to encode a single stream in
software, if you want to throw a cheapo bt878 in there for one extra
input.

Incidentally, it rarely makes sense to have more than one PVR-350, because
the main difference between the 350 and the 250 is hardware decoder TV
out.  How many TV-out ports do you need?  Myth, AFAIK, will only send to
one anyway.

> - What about a 7200 RPM 240GB drive? Can that read and write fast
> enough simultaneously?

Yes, plenty.  You could probably get away with 5400 to keep noise/heat
down.

> - Will I easily be able to create my own menu/DVD backgrounds and
> graphics? I'd be more than happy to share them with the community. I'm
> no programmer, but I am a broadcast UI designer.

Yes.  Myth is fully themed.  There's even a theme editor now -- check the
archives.

> - Can the commercial detection be turned around to record ONLY
> commercials? I realize that this is a strange request, but it's a hobby
> of mine.

I didn't find a way in the GUI.  (I looked around Super Bowl time, go
figure.)  You could probably do it by changing the flags directly in the
database, or by using Myth's edit mode.

Note that Myth detects sequences of commercials rather than individual
commercials.  So if you're archiving them individually, it may require
some post-processing with nuvexport, ffmpeg, mencoder, or the like.

> - Can I decide what format a given show is encoded to? (i.e. Enterprise
> in MPEG4, and West Wing in MPEG2, one after the other)?

PVR-x50 cards encode to MPEG2, period.  You can transcode them (optionally
automatic) after the fact.  Software encoding is either RTjpeg or MPEG4.
You set a default recording profile, which you can override on a per-show
basis.

> - What is the recommended remote control for the unit - is this listed
> on the MythTV site and I'm just too blind to see it?

Recommended?  Some people have remotes that came with TV cards, including
the PVR-x50.  Many others use existing remote controls (Radio Shack or
One-for-All universal remotes, among others) with LIRC receivers.

> - Is there a dial PIP option if I have 3 capture cards?

"Dial PIP?"  There is PIP -- one big picture, one small.

> - Can I use different Hauppage capture cards on the same system? (Like
> a 250 and a 350 together)?

Yes.

> - Is it easy to transfer recorded broadcasts to my Mac OSX box via the
> network?

Yes.  If your Mac OS/X cannot play NUV files, you may have to transcode
and convert to AVI.

Is there a frontend for Mac OS/X?  Would the existing Linux frontend port?

> - Are the fonts (used in the program guide and elsewhere) changeable?
> What is the smallest recommended font size for good clarity on screen?

Yes, and it depends on your screen.  The defaults are OK on my cheapo CRT
TV through a cheapo RF switch.  They'll probably work for you.  :)

> - Does the web interface require a static IP address?

No.  You do have to know what the current IP address is, through dyndns or
some other means.

> - Is Vorbis REQUIRED? What if all my audio is MP3? Do I need to install
> it?

MP3 playback is definitely supported.  I think MP3 ripping is now also.

--Patrick