[mythtv-users] A list of newbie questions - any input is appreciated

John DeLuca johnfdeluca at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 18:18:46 EST 2004

Steve Dorsey <steve at dorseygraphics.com> wrote:
Hello

I'm thinking about dumping about $500 into a Coolermaster ATC-620

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?
LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ATC-620C-
BX1&other_title=+ATC-620C-BX1+ATC-620

so that I can built a MythTV box. Before I start spending cash with
reckless abandon, I have a few questions. I'm sorry for not searching
the newsletters more, but they are very difficult to navigate. (Why are
we not using forums - they are easier to search, and I can more easily
get to them from the network at Intel, where I work!?)

<<<

forum vs. list has been hashed many times before and the decision is list.  You can read about it by using the online search posts option via gossamer.

Anyway, on with the show!

- Can MythTV control my DirecTV box (or a cable box) with the right
hardware/cables (changing channels and such)? Any direction here?

<<<

If your cable/directTV box has an active serial port then you can connect via that port to your mythbox and use a script to change channels. If instead, you have a non-active serial port (or none at all) then you'll need an IR blaster.  Searhing posts can offer you detail based on the approach you are taking (hint, search on Mortorola since many have motorola boxes)

- Is a P4 1.8GHz going to be fast enough to do everything with two or
three PVR-350s simultaneously capturing and viewing video? (I'd like to
hook up 3 cards in a perfect world so that I can have an extra input
for external devices i.e. video cameras or video from my G4.

<<<

I think that should do it

- What about a 7200 RPM 240GB drive? Can that read and write fast
enough simultaneously?

<<<

I have a 7200 200 GB drive, so you seem in good shape there.

- Will I easily be able to create my own menu/DVD backgrounds and
graphics? I'd be more than happy to share them with the community. I'm
no programmer, but I am a broadcast UI designer.

<<<

not sure there but this is open source

- Can the commercial detection be turned around to record ONLY
commercials? I realize that this is a strange request, but it's a hobby
of mine.

<<<

no...not 'out of the box'

- Can I decide what format a given show is encoded to? (i.e. Enterprise
in MPEG4, and West Wing in MPEG2, one after the other)?

<<<

you can create recording profiles (with various recording options such as bitrate) and when setting up recordings for a show, select the appropriate profile.  Don't think though that you can record directly to MPEG4...a PVRx50 can do MPEG2 and it can be automatically transcoded to MPEG4 after recording tho

- What is the recommended remote control for the unit - is this listed
on the MythTV site and I'm just too blind to see it?

<<<

many are used....if you use a PVRx50, you can use the remote that it comes with but many opt for a universal remote compatible with lirc

- Is there a dial PIP option if I have 3 capture cards?

<<<

there is a PIP but I don't know what dial PIP is.

- Can I use different Hauppage capture cards on the same system? (Like
a 250 and a 350 together)?

<<<

yes

- Is it easy to transfer recorded broadcasts to my Mac OSX box via the
network?

<<<

easy to do with Windows...not sure about mac

- Are the fonts (used in the program guide and elsewhere) changeable?
What is the smallest recommended font size for good clarity on screen?

- Does the web interface require a static IP address?

- Does Myth TV also share audio through the web connection (Like an
icecast server)?

- Is Vorbis REQUIRED? What if all my audio is MP3? Do I need to install
it?

- What about AC3?

thanks for your help (in advance). I'm fairly new to the world of
Linux, but I'm a quick learner. I hope to get up and running in the
next few months and then I'll start answering questions here!

Thanks,