[mythtv-users] kindly asking for recommendation: tv-out card in Germany?

Tobias Hofmann tobias.hofmann at medien.uni-weimar.de
Thu Feb 19 13:46:14 EST 2004

ladies, gentlemen,

I would like to profit from your experience and ask you for a
recommendation - feel free to point me to any RTFMs, I am at loss... :)

I am, like many before me, in the process of selecting all I need for my
first mythtv-machine, and have gone through a fair bit of research,
methinks. The only missing thing is a recommendation for a tv-out card.

I want to use it on a Fujitsu-Siemens mainboard (D1567-C, i865G, P4
2,8GHz), which has no tv-out, but controls CPU-fanspeed to (hopefully)
be quiet. I plan to have the machine running on FC1 (and followups).

Followig the last four mounths of archived, I have came to the following:

- Geforce Chips seem to be well usable with mythtv - I see many
favourable mentionings for MX440 and FX5200 cards. Correct? :)
- I would prefer to go with a fanless version, for noiselevel.
- I would like to have add. DVI-output - just in case... :)

Furthermore, I might do a bit of gaming (not done any for a _long_ time)
on the machine once it is next to the TV in the living room - I know
both chipsets are not state of the art for current games, but I'd like
to do as best as i can within the requirements from above - priority is
picture quality (TV-out) and no noise.

The recommendations on specific cards I have found on the list are
mostly no good for me, as these cards are not for sale in Germany. What
I have found googling is the following (going via
www.geizhals.at/deutschland , to get an overview):

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/vga/specification.asp?pro_id=61
leads to the albatron fx5200ep, with the "warning" of only having "only"
a memory bus of 64bit - would that hurt me remarkably?
Recently, the German magazine c't gave this (or another, the FX5200P
(this is still unclear, the "P" has 128bit buswidth, but is about
110euro...), a favourable review for "living room computer", that's how
i stumbled over it...

Albatron MX440-8X 128MB DDR AGP GF4 TV-Out Retail can be found at
http://www.computervisionen.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_62&products_id=500
for roughly the same price - better or worse than the one above?

Apart from those, I find _lots_ of cards (who said choice was good? :)
)from manufacturers I have never heard of or read weird things about in
groups.google, so this is why I ask you about opinions on these cards
and experiences with others (preferrabyl available in EU). My current
price range would be up to about 80euro, all included.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your time,

greets, tobi... :)