[mythtv-users] Doing the undoable?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 19 12:39:35 EST 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12:51, Eric Jones wrote:
> > Eh? According to what? I can run 800x600 and 1024x768 just fine to a TV
> > over SVid or Composite using the nvidia driver. I'm pushing 1024x768 to a
> > 27" TV right now...
>
> The proprietary nvidia driver rejects all of the other modes. :(

Huh. I'm using the very same driver. I think it varies from TV to TV (and
video card to video card) what gets accepted. I had another nVidia card
hooked to this TV at one point that refused to do more than 800x600, while
the current card has no complaints about doing 1024x768.

> As I said in my original email, I'm using the "recommended" values of
> 30-50 for HorizSync and 60 for VertRefresh. I'm sure these are the "safe"
> recommendations for analog-type TVs in the US, but I have an email to apex
> waiting for an answer for what will hopefully be more reasonable values.

That's what I'm using as well.

> I know the TV can do 800x600 and tuning the modeline should fix some of
> the squashing that I see. I would like to be able to run in a higher
> resolution tho.

If it is supposed to do 800x600, you might try Options "NoDDC" in the display
device section of XF86Config. I believe if you've got HorizSync and
VertRefresh locked to those values, you shouldn't be able to fry the TV
(caveat emptor ;-).

> > Since you said you have component inputs, rather than getting a new video
> > card, I'd investigate a VGA to component video transcoder. That's what I
> > use for my HDTV, and the picture blows away SVideo, especially for DVD
> > and Divx.
>
> Cool. I think this might be the best all-around option anyway.

I'd say absolutely. =)

> Thanks for the advice.

No problem. And if I didn't already include the link, here's where I've
detailed my journey down the HDTV output path:

http://wilsonet.com/mythv/mythhd.php

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...