[mythtv-users] Would like to use Myth CVS but never have...

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 19 10:21:03 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Snyder" <ax763 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 8:22 AM

> > On Wednesday 18 February 2004 11:19 pm, Anthony wrote:
> > > CVS is what the developers are CURRENTLY working on. Its
> > quite likely
> > > there are bugs, broken things, etc in the builds generated
> > from CVS,
> > > but in most cases, builds should generate (i.e. no compiler errors).
> > >
> > > If you are familiar with coding, and don't want to wait for
> > 0.15, you
> > > could always look through the CVS log for changes related to your
> > > problem, manually patch them in and recompile.
> > >

> > I'm probably not familiar enough with coding to figure out
> > which pieces of
> > code I need and manually patch just the right files so how
> > about this. I download CVS and related modules, compile,
> > install.  Then if something is
> > broken can I just switch back to my mythtv-0.14 source
> > directory and run
> > "make install" and put the 0.14 binarys back out and down
> > grade?  or is this
> > a big NO NO because of database changes and or upgrades?
> >
> You can do this IF you backup the database before the CVS install, then
> restore it before going back ot 0.14.  New versions will upgrade the
> database but old versions won't downgrade it.  Instructions for
> backup/restore are in the docs.

Thanks for the help but if I backup the database and run CVS for a while
things will change.  Recordings will get deleted, new ones will be added
etc.  Then a week later I decided it's not for me and I try and go back I'll
have to restore an old database that's out of sync with the recordings.
How's that going to work?

Thanks
Malcolm