[mythtv-users] Feature request: realtime commercial flagging

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Feb 19 07:20:36 EST 2004

> The CPU isn't the only constrained resource.  Commercial flagging does a
> _lot_ of disk reads, which can keep more important reads (or even writes)
> from completing when needed.  I've definitely noticed some playback
> hiccups when commercials are getting flagged, even with mythcommflag in
> its nice-and-also-sleeping mode.

	Fair enough.  I must say that I've used linux for my primary OS for
over 6 years now, and the IDE performance has always seemed to leave a lot to
be desired.  I don't think it's inherently linux, but rather IDE sucks.
Winders is even worse... and I can't afford SCSI anymore.

> A related question: do the frontend and backend do readahead on playback,
> and how much?  That is, how long can the disk block on playback without
> causing stutters?  It seems like a little more readahead (like skip
> protection on a portable CD player) would eliminate a lot of stutters.
>
> --Patrick

	It seems like that would help, although it might be a deeper problem.
If it's an I/O latency problem, the lower-priority task (commercial detection)
might be preventing the higher-priority task from getting the I/O it needs
before the *card's* buffer overflows.  Adding a big fat memory buffer might
help, but it should be relatively easily configurable too.  I don't see the
reason why 1/4 Gig of memory should be necessary in the current mythtv, anyway.

	How does the low-latency kernel patch fit into this?

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*