[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend/backend race condition?

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 18 22:02:51 EST 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 07:36 pm, Shane Warren wrote:

> Athlon 2500+
> Abit NF7-S V2
> 512 RAM
> GF4 MX4400
> Integrated Audio
> 1 PVR-250MCE (actually 2 but only 1 is in the machine as of right now)
>
> This is all running on kernel 2.4.22 (also tried 2.6.2) on Gentoo using
> MythTV 0.14 and ivtv drivers 0.19
>
> The problem I have been having is that if I start up mythbackend and
> then start mythfrontend and fire up live TV, everything appears to work
> great for somewhere between 4-8 hours then the video/audio get really
> really choppy (progressively more so as time goes on).  If I ssh into
> the machine I see mythfrontend and mythbackend are both competing for
> 100% of the cpu

First my hardware (we only seem to have the PVR cards in common)
Cel 2.4 Ghz
Gigabyte board
512 DDR
Matrox G200
PVR-350 (using the TV out)
PVR-250
SB Live

I have the exact same problem except I'm not using a frontend / backend setup
on two different machines.  I have it all on one machine.  If I let mine run
for hours on end it will break up into really choppy video and sound.
Usually I can just exit out the frontend with the remote and go back in and
it's working again but not for long.  Usually a reboot is required.
I've asked on the list here before and basically I got told it's an ivtv
driver issue not a myth issue.
So as a work around my TV sits on the Myth menu until I want to watch
something.  Kinda sucks but better than it crashing.  Also I setup a cron job
to reboot my box everyday at 3:30am.  Not the best solution in the world but
it does keep the box running "OK" in the evenings when we are using it.

Later
Malcolm